Mark Terry

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

What I've Been Reading

Latest 10!

The Human Division #10: This Must Be The Place by John Scalzi
Continuing on with his serialized novel.

A Clash of Kings by George RR Martin
The second book in the massive, epic - y'know, really, really long - fantasy series better known by the name A Game Of Thrones, although the book series is A Song of Fire and Ice (or Ice and Fire, I don't remember and am too lazy to go look at). I loved it. Swore I'd take a year off from the series now that I've read something like 1900 pages of the series, but now know I'll read the third book in a couple months. So, yeah...

Suspect by Robert Crais
A standalone thriller by the author of the Elvis Cole novels. This one features a cop who gets shot to pieces who comes back training for the Police Dog corp, teamed up with a former Marine dog that got shot up (and her trainer/partner died in the shooting). I'd give it a B+/A-. It's really, really good, but I had a sense toward the end that the crime being investigated itself seemed slightly overdone - the characters, on the other hand, were great.

The Human Division #11: A Problem of Proportion by John Scalzi
Yup.

The Human Division #12: The Gentle Art of Cracking Heads by John Scalzi
Almost to the end

Poe by Robert Gregory Browne & Brett Battles
A thriller featuring an international bounty hunter, Alexandra Poe, who is convinced to work for an international security agency that claims to have a lead on her missing father, a former intelligence agent who disappeared. To do so, she needs to go undercover in a Ukrainian prison, which, you know, sounds like a bad idea. And it is. I loved this book and really look forward to their next book featuring her.

The Human Division #13: Earth Below, Sky Above by John Scalzi
The final episode, making it a fairly episodic novel. I loved it, and really enjoyed this final segment. Some readers have bitched that it didn't wrap up everything, but Scalzi's already announced the next book in the series, and I'm quite happy at the thought of visiting some of these characters in future novels. I highly recommend The Human Division.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by JK Rowling
Second-to-last book in the series.

London Twist by Barry Eisler
A novella featuring Israeli agent Delilah (formerly a lover of John Rain), who is sent into London undercover to try to and get access to a Muslim woman's laptop computer - the woman's brother, they're told, is a terrorist planning a chemical weapons attack. The woman is an activist opposed to U.S. drone attacks and Delilah finds herself drawn to the woman's intelligence, passion and beauty. Really enjoyed this.

Two Graves by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Another Pendergast novel. I confess, I struggled significantly with this and almost quit reading it in the middle. I love these guys' books separately and together, but some of the Pendergast novels have left me cold. By the time I got to the end I liked it, but man, I struggled in the middle.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark,
Will there be anymore Stillwater books, I loved them all.
Alan Ballantyne
Sydney NSW

6:07 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Alan,
All the way from Australia? I'm delighted. Yes, there will be more Stillwater books. With any luck I'll have an espionage novel out later this year with a CIA agent named Monaco Grace. Then I'm going to start work on another Derek Stillwater novel to come out hopefully early 2014.

6:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home