Mark Terry

Friday, February 18, 2011

What I've Been Reading

February 18, 2011
First 10 of the Year!

1. Naked Heat by Richard Castle

I blogged about this already, but it's the media tie-in to the TV show "Castle," of which I am a fan. I liked it.

2. The Fever: How Malaria Has Ruled Humankind for 500,000 Years by Sonia Shah

A nonfiction book about malaria and although it is (no pun intended, really) sort of bloodless, it was fascinating. I guess by "bloodless" I mean that for the most part the book is rather bereft of human beings.

3. Fool Moon by Jim Butcher

The second in the fantasy series featuring Chicago wizard Harry Dresden. Ian and my brother Pete are huge fans and I have to say I think I enjoyed the second book even more than the first.

4. Medic! How I Fought World War II with Morphine, Sulfa, and Iodine Swabs by Robert “Doc Joe” Franklin

A short, brutally honest memoir of a medic's experience in the European theater during World War II. Short, insightful, sad, dramatic, everything.

5. Prince of Fire by Daniel Silva

Another book in the espionage series featuring Israeli assassin Gabriel Allon. Not my favorite of the series, but an interesting book.

6. Old Man’s War by John Scalzi (Audible.com)

I listened to this on audio, having already read it. I still like it and I still recommend it.

7. The Sentry by Robert Crais

A Joe Pike novel instead of an Elvis Cole novel, although Elvis plays a major role in the story. It's good, although I really prefer the Elvis Cole novels.

8. Deep Storm by Lincoln Child

I re-read this tech thriller about a secret deep ocean research facility that may or may not have found the lost city of Atlantis. Holds up well, although I was more sensitive to a leap of logic or two than I was the first time around.

9. Stranglehold by Ed Gorman

II bought this book because it dealt with a political consultant who solves crime, which sounded an awful lot like my character Austin Davis in my e-book HOT MONEY. They're almost nothing like except that it revolves politics. I liked it fairly well though.

10. Zig Zephyr and the Forever Diamond by Jon VanZile

I will blog about this book more in-depth later and Jon will either guest blog or we'll do some sort of conversation/interview here, but suffice it to say that I enjoyed the hell out of this book and highly recommend it for anyone with kids who are middle graders, or, for that matter, anyone who knows how to read. That would be you, right? Go out and buy this book. A boy who has inherited a billion dollars discovers his grandfather's plans for a time machine and has it built by a crazy physicist.

2 Comments:

Blogger Erica Orloff said...

I love Jon's book. I really do--I think he has an awesome middle-grade voice.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Yeah, not to get into it too much today, but the predominant thought in my head while reading it was, "Why in the hell didn't some publishing house pick this up?" It just doesn't make sense.

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home