Mark Terry

Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009 Year In Review, Sort Of

December 31, 2009
I'm more inclined to look ahead rather than behind, but I'll see if anything in particular pops into my head in reflecting upon 2009.

--I signed two book contracts. That's a positive thing, I think. For y'all who are struggling to get book contracts, feel free to give me a metaphorical kick in the ass for not being all rosy and ecstatic about it. Reality does not always meet expectations, although sometimes it does exceed them. I'm glad to be back in the novels-being-published game, especially after a number of empty hits in 2008.

--after running out of publication options for a nonfiction book proposal that our agent didn't sell, I dug down, hunted up a handful of publishers, and found my two collaborators and myself a publisher that offered us a contract for a book about medical practice management.

--I'm going to throw this out here because I was delighted about this. As a guy who writes about writing on this blog, I know that the bulk of my readers--which I think of as a community--are aspiring novelists. A couple of you are already novelists and some of you are full-time freelancers and/or both. But I know some of you are struggling to break into the business. So I was particularly pleased--really, really pleased, actually--when one of my readers, Stephen Parrish, got a contract offer for The Tavernier Stones, to be published in May 2010 by Midnight Ink, my former publisher. So congratulations to Stephen. And in 2010 I hope very much to hear of such good news from every other reader here who aspires in that direction. That would make me happy indeed.

--my continued friendship, online and otherwise, with people I've met through this blog and others, and I'm naming just a few because our friendship has gone past our respective blogs to outside e-mails and occasional phone calls: Erica Orloff, John VanZile, Stephen Parrish and Natasha Fondren (who, by weird coincidence, knows my sister-in-law).

--This was a year that an old friend and I decided to try to get together for lunch once a month and we've mostly succeeded. We've known each other literally our whole lives, having grown up across the street from each other and being born 2 weeks apart, but we haven't had much communication in the last 15 years or so except for family funerals. I'm very happy about this, overall.

--the deepening friendship with Gary Ashton, my guitar teacher. He had, I'm sure, a pretty shitty 2009, so I'm hoping he has a great 2010; either way, I value his friendship.

--I'm still making a good living as a freelance writer and editor and novelist and certainly hope I'll continue to do so.

--I've enjoyed my sons, who are growing into interesting, kind, brilliant, creative and talented young men. Kudos to my wife, who gets most of the credit.

--I'm grateful for my regular clients (very).

--I'm grateful for my dog, always.

--I'm oddly grateful for Facebook, which has allowed me to keep in closer touch with my brother, my sister, a couple cousins, and old high school friends, as well as a couple hundred other people I barely know.

--My involvement with the band boosters has not only been enjoyable and enriching, but it's expanded my social life and friends significantly. Since I have long been a traditional homebody with very few close friends and not much of a social life outside my immediate family, I think this is a sign of growth on my part.

--And it's certainly been a pleasurable year of reading, listening to music, taking guitar lessons, exercising, and working, with a little bit of travel thrown in. A fine year indeed, for the most part.

Happy New Year!

Cheers,
Mark Terry

13 Comments:

Anonymous Camels & Chocolate said...

Talk about slacker. Just two book deals? Pssh. ;-) I'd say you have time for at least five in 2010.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Well, actually three, but I haven't gotten the contract yet to sign. They changed one of the clauses and had us approve it yesterday.

So yeah, cool, 5-book contracts sounds good, although that ought to put me over the top in terms of time and energy.

And congrats to you on your engagement and all your travel.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Stephen Parrish said...

I would not have broken through this year without your help. Thanks for everything.

2010 is gonna be tits.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Glad I was helpful and I hope Tavernier sells a million copies.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Travis Erwin said...

Happy New Year to you as well. I'm expecting big things from Stephen and can't wait to read his novel.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Mary or Eric said...

The book contracts are certainly impressive. Most writers would kill for one, ever. I hope the new year brings sales and critical success. With the way you work at it I'm sure that's going to be the case one of these years so better sooner than later.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Spy Scribbler said...

Wow! You've had an awesome year. That just rocks.

I'm really grateful for Facebook, too. I love being in touch with elementary school friends, high school friends, music school friends, and writing friends. It's pretty awesome.

(The Lucia thing still blows my mind, LOL!)

12:42 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Travis,
Happy 2010 to you, too!

7:14 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Eric,
Thanks! Looking back over 2009 professionally, it was a pretty good year with some interesting experiments and promising events. Hope you have a terrific 2010.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Natasha,
Yeah, that was a bit of a jolt. Maybe it really IS a small world.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Jude Hardin said...

I'm looking forward to Stephen's 2010 release, and yours, Mark.

Happy New Year!

8:31 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

I think this is your break-in year, Jude; I really do.

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Zoe Winters said...

This was really sweet. It's cool when a "gruff-seeming" guy gets all sentimental about his friends and family and dog on his blog, lol. Glad things are going well for you and glad you're back into the fiction publishing game. I found some steady freelance work that is helping support my publishing habit hehe. So I'm excited about that and I'm releasing my first print release into the wild in the spring. My kindle sales are going pretty well, and I've crossed the 15,000 reader mark for all the places where my ebook is available. About to start a podcast and started recording today. Oh, and finally got my website designed and I've been pimping it like a psycho.

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home