Mark Terry

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Metaphysical Question Du Jour

October 24, 2009
I started off my day putzing around on the Internet & checking e-mail. I read an article on the online version of Men's Health about getting your life and health together in your 40s (yes, I'm 45). And they told a story based on some book about drawing a square. Each side of the square represents one of the following things: work, family/social, physical, spiritual.

So the question becomes, if you were to draw each side of that "square" to a length that represented your perceived quality of each side would it actually be a square? As the guy being quoted in the article said, his looked like a flatline on an EKG. (Note that he was a brain surgeon whose father had just died, gotten divorced within a week of that, and had to leave neurosurgery to help his mother run the family farm. He was having a REALLY bad week).

I find this thought-provoking. Anyway, there's the thought du jour.

Be square!

Cheers,
Mark

4 Comments:

Blogger Erica Orloff said...

Him. I don't know. Mine would be rectangular, but pretty close to a square. Family and spiritual would be the longest lines, close to it would be work (since my work is also my passion). Physical would be shorter. Maybe a trapezoid?? I am still, with my kids' new schedules as commuter students, trying to figure out where to fit in my hour walk.
E

6:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Mine would be mostly balanced. Right now work would be a little longer, and spiritual would be a little shorter. But social and physical would be strong and equal.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Spy Scribbler said...

I'm happiest if I'm working out like an hour and a half a day, but I haven't done that since the foot. It's feeling better, but I did a bunch of roundhouse kicks the other night and it got mad at me. Still, I'm holding out hope. I'm off my yoga and everything else, so that's a short side.

Family is as long as I want it to be, LOL, unless I get to make my own. Spiritual and work are good. I think physical is the only one I'd make longer. :-)

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Eric Mayer said...

I dunno...I'm not square, that's for sure. Pretty much a line. With breaks in it. Maybe I ought to move to Flatland.

I'm glad you got the ARC. I depend on Bloglines to alert me to feeds for my blog reading and for some reason it screwed up with your blog this week and still hasn't lit up.

By the way, I totally agree with your comments on those covers. The angel covers didn't match the book. Plus, there's already an angel cover book coming out around the same time. We don't want to confuse readers!

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home