Mark Terry

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Kitchen Sink

February 24, 2009
Okay, the Internet/cable has been down all day, so I'm finally getting my e-mail, etc. I'm tapdancing as hard as I can to nail three deadlines by Friday, I need to vote on a bond proposal after picking up my son from school (after I made a nuisance of myself by contradicting the local newspaper editor's columns with three different letters to the editor), and it's still freaking cold and snowy!

So, here's the first ten books I read, more or less, this year.

1. Divine Justice by David Baldacci
I liked his writing better than I expected, even if I was so-so on the story.

2. The 39 Clues: One False Note by Gordon Korman
The second book in this 10-book series for kids. Quite enjoyable.

3. Halo: The Cole Protocol by Tobias S. Buckell
My friend wrote this tie-in, I liked it, even if my lack of familiarity with the Halo universe and games made it initially a little confusing. It rocks in a space opera way, though.

4. Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA by Tim Weiner
It took me about 8 months to read this book. Although interesting, I thought it took a unique gift to make a history of the CIA boring.

5. The Carnival Master by Craig Russell
A serial killer book written by a Scotsman that takes place in Germany. Rather slow, but intriguing and layered.

6. Running for Mortals: A commonsense plan for changing your life through running by John Bingham and Jenny Hadfield
A book on running, somewhat inspirational, oversimplistic and occasionally amusing.

7. Nightmare Academy by Dean Lourey
A most excellent book for kids. MOST EXCELLENT.

8. Collision by Jeff Abbott
A very good thriller by a very good thriller writer.

9. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by JK Rowling
Needs no explanation.

10. The Brass Verdict by Michael Connelly
One of his better ones. Features both Mickey Haller and Harry Bosch.

Oh, and a factoid from an interview I conducted this morning. There are about 7000 preventable deaths in the U.S. caused by prescription errors. To put that into perspective, imagine a 747 crashing every week for a year.

Cheers,
Mark Terry

7 Comments:

Blogger Jude Hardin said...

Better get your calculator back out, Mark. Seating capacity for a 747 is 400-500.

Still, 7000/year is a startling statistic for prescription errors.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

I see what you mean. More like a 747 crash every month for a year--still pretty frightening.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Erica Orloff said...

LOL on your comment for #4.

Have you read American Prometheus yet? My recommendation for THE best nonfiction book I've read in the last year.

E

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May I ask, is this your reading total for the year so far? Or what was your starting date?

Either way, you have a diverse selection in reading. I need to read more...

3:49 PM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Chris,
Yes, that's the total for the year so far, although like I said, I spent half of 2007 reading Legacy of Ashes. I started both Divine Justice and The Carnival Master at the tail end of December. The 39 Clues and the Nightmare Academy are aimed at middle grades and as a result they're both very short books.

The book on running it also pretty short, especially if you don't bother reading the last 30 or 40 pages, which were primarily workout plans.

Yes, I used to read almost strictly mysteries and thrillers, but I've purposefully tried to include nonfiction books, some SF and books aimed at kids, which I enjoy quite a bit.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Erica,
I'll have to check that out.

5:31 PM  
Blogger PokerBen said...

How fast do you read a typical mystery/thriller Mark? For me it's about 1 week.

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home