Mark Terry

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

A Writer's Short Course On Opening Paragraphs

December 9, 2008
Agent Nathan Bransford  opened up his blog for a mini-contest, in which people posted the first paragraph of their work in progress. As of this morning, there were over 500 entries.

My friends, this is a short seminar on what to do and not do in your writing. Rush over there and read some of these things.

Better yet, read some of them out loud. That's what I did to the amusement of my 15-year-old son, who would say, "That's boring," or "What?" or start laughing insanely, not because they were funny (at least intentionally), but because they were so, uh, well...

My heart-felt condolences for Nathan and any agent who spends their day reading stuff like this. It's not necessarily that they're bad, at least not on a word for word sense. (Some are). But they definitely have problems--in the first paragraph!

Here are four things I noticed.

1. Run-on sentences. If your first sentence is going to run 45 words or 100, you'd better be a genius. Otherwise, using an f***ing period.

2. Mangled similes and/or metaphors. Really, in the first sentence or paragraph? Her heart melted like a snowman in the hot sun on a July day in Nebraska? (I'm kidding, sort of).

3. Get to the point. Please.

4. This is harder, but, uh... don't be boring. I came to appreciate the agent's job in a different way. I routinely say that an agent or editor doesn't have to read your entire manuscript to know whether it's salable or not. They can read a page or two. I often generously say 20 or 50 pages just to make aspiring writers feel better, but I'm lying. You don't need to read that long. And after spending some time on Nathan's blog, it's easy for me to say, "If you're boring in the first two sentences, I'm not going to read to 20 pages. Sorry, but, uh, life is short."

So, spend some time over there educating yourself.

Cheers,
Mark Terry

8 Comments:

Blogger Kath Calarco said...

Mark, I'm going to check it out. Maybe it'll make my work look like a best seller. lol

It's amazing, though, the amount of pubbed books that have tortuous first lines/paragraphs. That's why before purchase, I'll read a few lines first. If it doesn't drag me in with some wit or unusual hook, it goes back on the shelf. But, I've also been suckered in with a great hook, opening paragraph, only to be put off as the story unfolds. Then I get pissed that I wasted money.

My reading time is precious, one that I won't waste on crap.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Davin C. Goodwin said...

Mark,

What's the book you're reading? I am a huge fan of the Caribbean, and might want to read it.

BTW: I liked your paragraph on Nathan's blog.....

7:48 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

David,
I just finished "St. Barts Breakdown" by Don Bruns. Obviously, most of it takes place on St. Barts. Go figure.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Kath Calarco said...

So I read nearly half, and am so happy to not be an agent or editor for my eyes couldn't take so much assault. (Although there were some good ones - short; sweet; to the point - like Mark's)

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a longtime lurker over here, though you know me as Sex Scenes at Starbucks.

Thought I'd mention that we're doing something similar for short fiction over at http://electricspec.blogspot.com

First page, 200 word limit, short fiction, send it to betsy@electricspec.com. See the blog for past entries and rules.

We've been in the ezine business for three years, are a paying market, and really like to help writers...

2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least eightlv ring earlier studiesReplica Watches have linked Replica Handbagssmoking bans toReplica Handbag decreased heart attacksCoach Handbags, but none ranGucci Handbags as long as Rolex Watchesthree years. Replica Rolex WatchesThe new studyDesigner clothing looked at heartDesigner replica handbags attack hospitalizationsWholesale jewelry for three years followingReplica rolex watches the July 1, replica handbags2003 enactmentreplica watches of Pueblo’s ban,data processing service and found declinesdata processing as great or greaterdata process than those in data processing serviceearlier research.data processing“This study isdata process very dramatic,” data processing servicesaid Dr. Michael Thun,data processing a researcher withdata process the American Cancer Society.

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is awow gold rare subject that Iwow gold speak on because I buy wow goldgenerally trybuy wow gold to stay away from itcheap wow gold. I'm don't follow thecheap wow gold campaigns orworld of warcrft gold feedback of theworld of warcrft gold candidates. I justwow power leveling stick to my "guns". That old power levelingwestern saying. It's that time again and yes, we finally get the chance to get rid that "thing" that weworld of warcraft power leveling have as a president and put someone new in house.

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is true wow gold that my wow gold friend‘s case wow gold is not unique. In the nike shoes last few years quite a rolex number of men and buy wow gold women have chosen to buy wow gold do something less buy wow gold competitive at the cost jordan shoes of a comfortable, easy cartier life a highly-paid cheap wow gold job can obtain. They cheap wow gold are afraid that the cheap wow gold stresses and strains sport shoes of work will rob omega them of joy and world of warcraft gold happiness and do world of warcraft gold them harm both world of warcraft gold physically and mentally. In casual shoes fact, however, stress isn‘t rolex watches the bad thing it is cartier watches often supposed to be. Unless omega watches it gets out of control, a certain replica watches amount of stress is vital wholesale watches to provide cheap watches motivation and challenge.

12:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home