Mark Terry

Monday, June 16, 2008

An Election Year Suggestion?

June 16, 2008
It's not often that I'll be referring the readers of this blog to one of my new clients, Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology News, but there's an article in the latest issue that amused me no end, suggesting that all members of congress should be subjected to regular mental health and intelligence tests. Read it here.

Here's a sample:

It’s no coincidence that the intelligence level of members of Congress has so often been spoofed. “Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself,” quipped Mark Twain. Milton Berle observed, “You can lead a man to Congress but you can’t make him think.” Will Rogers addressed the consequences of these deficiencies: “When Congress makes a joke it’s a law, and when they make a law, it’s a joke.”

There are numerous examples of the joke being on us. Not too long ago, a friend of mine was seated at a banquet table with the family of a former midwestern Representative. The relatives expressed relief at his having entered politics because none of them thought he was smart enough to enter the family scrap-metal business.


Cheers,

Mark Terry

4 Comments:

Blogger Erica Orloff said...

True story. I interviewed a certain former governor of a certain state who then was elected into the Senate. Who recently lost to a senator known for wearing cowboy boots. (You may be able to figure it out.) The man was, in my humble opinion, the DUMBEST human being I have EVER met. Every question I asked, he looked to the REAL brains in his operation, someone without his daddy's last name, without the football star good looks, but who clearly HAD brains, and he would ask, "What IS my position on that?" Next question. "And how DO I feel about that?" It went on and on.

What a knucklehead.
E

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in the same town where a (now retired) Congressman lives. Long time ago he was CEO to a Fortune 500 company for years -- family company at that. Everyone was extremely relieved when he retired because he did such a horrid job of running the company. There were rumors even way back then that he was getting a bit fuzzy.

Then he got elected to Congress.

His only goal in Congress was to be liked and thought of as a nice person. Even people who voted for him were glad when he retired.

...

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sadly a lot of voters seem to see any sign of intelligence as a disqualification for political office. I guess if they need heart surgery they look for a really, really stupid surgeon. Heck, someone who couldn't graduate from medical school would be best. Someone they could enjoy having a beer with...before the surgery...cause afterwards they'd be dead.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Erica,
Does this guy have a problem with the word "macaca"?

Anonymous,
Well, I suppose it's nice to be liked.

Eric,
Reminds me of what someone said about Texas, which was there was a strong strain of "machismo and anti-intellectualism" which meant George Bush was perfect.

Spy
I've figured Bush would be a nice guy to hang out with, you know, have some burritos, talk sports, maybe go to the gym with. But I don't want him running things.

5:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home