Mark Terry

Monday, March 17, 2008

Well, I'm relieved...

March 17, 2008
From MSNBC today:

WASHINGTON - President Bush, trying to calm turmoil in financial markets after a dramatic weekend, declared Monday that his administration is “on top of the situation” and dealing decisively with the slumping economy.

“One thing is for certain, we’re in challenging times,” Bush said after meeting with Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson and other senior economic advisers. “But another thing is for certain: We’ve taken strong, decisive action.”


Yeah, just when I was losing confidence in this administration's ability to take "strong, decisive action."

Y'know, someone needs to point out to Bush et al.,

"Just because you think you're right doesn't mean you are."

"Jumping headfirst off a cliff is also strong and decisive action."


Oh God, I am so glad baseball starts in two weeks. Spring must be up ahead somewhere.

Cheers,
Mark Terry

7 Comments:

Blogger Spy Scribbler said...

You've probably heard this one:

"Wait a minute. What did you just say? You're predicting $4-a-gallon gas? ... That's interesting. I hadn't heard that." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Feb. 28, 2008

That really sounds like he's on top of the situation, doesn't it, LOL? (I can just picture all his press aids cringing when those words flew out of his mouth. Or maybe they're used to it, now.)

I got a little note in the mail today telling me I'd probably get $300 - 600 this summer. Woo-hoo!

I wonder if he'd be as excited if I wrote THAT amount on April 15, instead of the amount I have to write. Give me a break on THAT, and I'll start feeling a little more confident!

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, when you jump off a cliff there are consequences. And all the way down you can yap about how you refuse to hit the bottom and if you do it's someone else's fault, but, once you jump off the cliff there's only one possible outcome and you're the one who chose it. But do voters grasp this? I still would be surprised if the next "leader" of the US isn't John "hundred year war" McCain.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Just keep thinking:

January 20th, 2009.

January 20th, 2009.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Aimlesswriter said...

I wonder if Georgie knows he's the one who created this "challenging situation"?

3:29 PM  
Blogger Erica Orloff said...

Mark:
Amen to that.

I have four kids. My oldest is a hard-working A-student violinist who works a job at night to save money for books for school. Her GAS getting too and from the job, as a teen, is almost as much as she makes. So my significant other and I subsidize her gas tank . . . because we're proud of her working hard toward college. Between the three of us drivers, we're putting $600 in our gas tanks a month. It's sick. I spent $100 at the grocery store and came home with THREE bags. As a vegetarian, it's not meat that's so expensive but produce.

I feel like as a nation we are circling the bowl.
E

3:52 PM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Well, food prices are up for a number of reasons, gas being one. The other is the Law of Unintended Consequences. Hey, let's encourage ethanol and biofuels. Farmers know a good thing when they see it, a guaranteed market for corn at good prices. So they start selling their corn to the biofuel and ethanol plants. But the catch is, they don't plant MORE corn, they just shift who they sell it to--creating a shortage of corn in the food market.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Stephen Parrish said...

307 days and counting.

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home