Mark Terry

Monday, February 25, 2008

Bank O' Weirdness


February 25, 2008

Erica Orloff has an interesting blogpost about her Bank of Weirdness--essentially asking people 5 things about themselves that are strange or weird or unique, like, in her case, having been cast adrift in the Bermuda Triangle in a dinghy.

With some hesitation, here's what I wrote about myself:

I have to take a deep breath here because some of my oddities might be a bit problematic for some people, well...

1. Both my wife and I used to work for the Placenta Tissue Registry at Michigan State University, where human placentas were sent in for research purposes.

2. I worked in clinical cytogenetics for 18 years--that's chromosomes, in case you were wondering.

3. While there I was somewhat expert on products of conception, which is to say, dealing with the tissues that come about after a miscarriage.

4. I have taken scalpels and "scissored" human embryos/fetuses into mush in order to process them for chromosome analysis (told you people might not like this).

5. For a couple years period in my career I worked in the following areas: diabetes research, spinal meningitis research, bladder cancer research, squamous cell carcinoma research. For the spinal meningitis research I used to inoculate rabbits with bacterial meningitis so we could perform MRI on them.

That's plenty, I think.


***
I would probably also add that I spend a fair amount of time in the company of imaginary people, but many of you are writers yourselves and almost all are readers, so you've got that problem, too, I imagine.

How about you? How weird are you?

Cheers,
Mark Terry

6 Comments:

Blogger Melanie Hooyenga said...

Eek! That's quite a resume. Hey, someone's gotta do the research and it sounds like you did a good job at it.

Now my life sounds boring.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Melanie,
Well, I would note that despite (or because) of my involvement in cancer, spinal meningitis and diabetes research, there are still no cures. :)

And your life isn't boring. Don't you live in Mexico? I've never even BEEN to Mexico.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice bank o' weirdness, there Mark.

Let's see, I partook in Scalzi's '10 things I have done you probably haven't' not long ago on my blog.. but weirdness - that I'll admit to-
hmmm,.. I do have 2 bellybuttons. One is manmade.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Aimlesswriter said...

I bow to your intelligence. Wow. You must have some brain power there.
I think I'm boring in comparison.
Weird?
Aren't we all a tad weird?

4:30 PM  
Blogger Melanie Hooyenga said...

Mark, yesterday I would've said my life was boring, but then today happened. So perhaps I have a few tales to tell. ;)

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wholesale lingerie directly from China?
As a famous brand and specialized manufacturer of sexy clothing in China. We supply the international market with fashionable sexy lingerie and sexy costume since 2002. With advanced technology,all our products are of high quality. Now we have clients all around the world. Lingerie Wholesale and OEM are welcomed!

As a Lingerie Manufacturer, Charmingirl has standard workshop and production line, professional designers and experienced workers.
We do Wholesale Underwear,
Lingerie Wholesale, including corset and bustier,
Sexy Lingerie Wholesale, including bikini, underwear
Lingerie Wholesale, and Babydolls, Sexy Lingerie Wholesale, and
Sexy Lingerie Wholesale including sleepwear,clubwear.
Lingerie Wholesale from China: Lingerie China, you will find the
Leather Lingerie and PVC Lingerie, also you can buy
Christmas Costume and Xmas Lingerie
for your Christmas Lingerie Christmas day.
Our Wholesale center: Sexy Lingerie Wholesale can do Lingerie Wholesale online.
Halloween Costume,
also wholesale Adult Costume with fashion Babydoll Babydoll, and bra and panties Bra and Panties, Sexy Uniform Sexy Uniform is also our major products.
we have strong ability on production, research and technology, advanced facilities that is imported fromGermany and Japan, now our monthly output is 100000 pcs.

5:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home