Mark Terry

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Do You Believe In Signs?


January 2, 2008
I'm not superstitious. I'm really not, although I do believe in good luck and bad. But I don't believe in fortune cookies or astrology (although I thought a recent Capricorn definition fit me quite well) or any of that stuff.

Still...

I do think we live in a huge mystery, more things in heaven and earth, etc.

I'm in between projects at the moment. I probably should focus on CHINA FIRE, but, well, I don't feel much burning desire to. Or much desire to work on any particular project. But that could be because I've taken the last week or so off. I did start a short story and I tried my hand at an SF novel just to see if it would take off (it didn't), but no, I was just fooling around.

But I have had a NOTION for a kids' book. I wrote one last year and it's still being marketed and I enjoyed the change, which is maybe what I need. But this NOTION, that's all it was, a sort of, "it would be cool to write a book for kids like..."

There was no plot, no characters, just a NOTION, a type of book, a type of story.

While I was talking Frodo this morning--we received, I kid you not, 12+ inches of snow on New Year's Day, literally a foot of snow--the sky was a clear blue, it was cold, about 18 degrees, and I'm trudging along streets that have "tracks" but haven't actually been plowed, and I start thinking about this NOTION I have, and the NOTION turns into a CONCEPT, and the CONCEPT turns into a PLOT and I get a TITLE and a CHARACTER and I look up and I see...

See that photo up there? That's pretty much what I saw. The sun was moving toward the south behind the treeline and I could see a red glow and shooting up out of the red glow was, like, a PILLAR OF FIRE for God sakes, which was pretty cool and I thought, "Huh."

It was gorgeous and no, it probably wasn't some creator putting on a light show just to motivate me in a particular direction. Oddly enough, I don't see myself at the center of the universe (the center of MY universe, perhaps, but not the center of THE universe). Still, I came back from the walk, stuck my head in my son's bedroom door and said, "What do you think of this for a title?"

He liked it.

Now I need to go see if there's any real life to this idea.

Cheers,
Mark Terry

3 Comments:

Blogger Melanie Hooyenga said...

Yes, it's a sign. Go with it. :)

Happy New Year!

9:07 AM  
Blogger Aimlesswriter said...

The photo and post reflects the wonder of the creative process. A sign? As long as it positive --- Yes! I believe, I believe!
And if your son likes it, that seals the deal. My daughter always has the most insightful ideas.

8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

特定科学物質等作業主任者
コンピュータ
法公布
過酸化脂質
融資
キッチン
ルール
デシル分析
シャンプー後
防戦買い
離乳食
ドアの鍵
ATM
配属先
会計監査人
潜水士
海上保安学校
クセ毛
目的
津波の原因


seego

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home