Mark Terry

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

In The Moment

May 22, 2007
10:07 AM
I've got classical guitar playing on iTunes on my computer: Mesut Ozgen on his album Troubadour playing "Fantasie Hongroise Op. 65, No.1."

I'm wearing tennis shoes (my office is still cold), jeans, a yellow T-shirt.

I'm working on Chapter 52 of The Valley of Shadows. Derek Stillwater is in a rented Nissan Pathfinder with Agent Sandra O'Reilly. They're driving around in L.A. They've just received a phone call from an FBI agent inquiring about an illegal wiretap that overheard a phone conversation between an L.A. Imam and a terrorist called Kalakar, that they're going to meet at 8:30. They just don't know where.

There's a red Ace hardware driving mug on my desk filled with ice and Diet Pepsi.

It's time to get back to Derek and O'Reilly.

Cheers,
Mark Terry

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm trying to write a section of a legal encyclopedia about no-fault insurance. If Derek's driving around, make sure he doesn't get in an accident, unless you want a 1,000 page book while he figures out what the hell's going on with the insurance.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Eric,
The dominant part of my writing life at the moment is clinical laboratory test volumes as correlated with census figures around the country. Pretty much on-part with no-fault insurance.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Spy Scribbler said...

So here's a question: do you know where? (Translation: are you a pantser or a plotter?)

11:48 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Pantser, if the reference is to "seat-of-the-pants."

In other words, I don't work from an outline. I knew how I wanted the book to start and I know what the bad guy intends to do, and I knew some of the high points and some of the characters, and then wing it.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Oh, do I know where they're meeting?

Nope. But all hell has to break loose first. They're spotted trailing them and there will be counter-actions and counter-counter-actions, and some action scenes and somebody will get wounded and...

12:15 PM  
Blogger Spy Scribbler said...

Sounds like an exciting part to write (and read)! (Me, too, by the way. More fun that way!)

5:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home