Mark Terry

Friday, March 16, 2007

Book Meme

March 16, 2007
This has been around a bit and I decided to borrow it from Spyscribbler's blog. I'm not doing all the "do-this" crap, so I'm just going to make a quick comment by each one.

1. The Da Vinci Code (Dan Brown)--listened to the audiobook; preferred Angels & Demons

2. Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)--haven't read it

3. To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee)--haven't read it

4. Gone With The Wind (Margaret Mitchell)--haven't read it or seen the movie

5. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Tolkien)--read it a couple times; prefer the movies

6. The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (Tolkien)--see #5

7. The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers (Tolkien)--see #5

8. Anne of Green Gables (L.M. Montgomery)--haven't read it

9. Outlander (Diana Gabaldon) --haven't read it (or heard of it)

10. A Fine Balance (Rohinton Mistry)--never heard of it

11. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Rowling)--loved it

12. Angels and Demons (Dan Brown)--see #1

13. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Rowling)--loved it

14. A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving)--an American masterpiece

15. Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden)--haven't read it

16. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (Rowling)--loved it

17. Fall on Your Knees (Ann-Marie MacDonald)--never heard of it

18. The Stand (Stephen King)--both versions, probably a masterpiece of sorts

19. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Rowling)--loved it; my favorite of all the books so far

20. Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)--haven't read it

21. The Hobbit (Tolkien)--read a couple times

22. The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger)--my vote for most overrated literary novel in the canon, but I applaud and often wish I could emulate Salinger's approach to book marketing

23. Little Women (Louisa May Alcott)--tried to read it

24. The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold)--haven't read it

25. Life of Pi (Yann Martel)

26. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)--yes, in college and spent a lot of time giggling, especially about odes to belly button lint

27. Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)--nope

28. The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe (C. S. Lewis)--this series creeps me out (and the movie isn't much of a favorite either), but I've only read The Magician's Nephew, which I hate.

29. East of Eden (John Steinbeck)--yes, but I don't remember much about it

30. Tuesdays with Morrie(Mitch Albom)--an interesting book, reminding us of things we already know

31. Dune (Frank Herbert)--read several times; quite the visionary

32. The Notebook (Nicholas Sparks)--hope

33. Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)--nope

34. 1984 (Orwell)--yeah and I hate rats

35. The Mists of Avalon (Marion Zimmer Bradley)--nope

36. The Pillars of the Earth (Ken Follett)--nope

37. The Power of One (Bryce Courtenay)--nope

38. I Know This Much is True (Wally Lamb)--nope

39. The Red Tent (Anita Diamant)--nope

40. The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho)--nope

41. The Clan of the Cave Bear (Jean M. Auel)--ah yes, the first Sex Among The Cave People. I think I read the first 3.

42. The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)--nope

43. Confessions of a Shopaholic (Sophie Kinsella) --nope

44. The Five People You Meet In Heaven (Mitch Albom)--nope and I'm not interested

45. Bible--yes, several times

46. Anna Karenina (Tolstoy)--nope

47. The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas)--no, but the sandwich is ok

48. Angela’s Ashes (Frank McCourt)--nope

49. The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck)--nope

50. She’s Come Undone (Wally Lamb)--nope

)51. The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver)--started it, didn't finish, rare for me

52. A Tale of Two Cities (Dickens)--of course

53. Ender’s Game (Orson Scott Card)--nope

54. Great Expectations (Dickens)--yes, wonderful

55. The Great Gatsby (Fitzgerald)--yes and I should reread it, too

56. The Stone Angel (Margaret Laurence)--nope

57. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Rowling)--loved it

58. The Thorn Birds (Colleen McCullough)--yes, loved it

59. The Handmaid’s Tale (Margaret Atwood)--nope

60. The Time Traveller’s Wife (Audrey Niffenegger)--nope

61. Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoyevsky)--nope

62. The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand)--nope

63. War and Peace (Tolstoy)--nope

64. Interview With The Vampire (Anne Rice)--yes, best line: "I rather like looking at crucifixes."

65. Fifth Business (Robertson Davis)--nope

66. One Hundred Years Of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)--no, but I've read one of his short stories, which was lovely.

67. The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants (Ann Brashares)--nope

68. Catch-22 (Joseph Heller)--yes

69. Les Miserables (Hugo)--yes

70. The Little Prince (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)--nope

71. Bridget Jones’ Diary (Fielding)--nope

72. Love in the Time of Cholera (Marquez)--nope

73. Shogun (James Clavell)--yes

74. The English Patient (Michael Ondaatje)--no & hated the movie

75. The Secret Garden (Frances Hodgson Burnett)--nope

76. The Summer Tree (Guy Gavriel Kay)--nope

77. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Betty Smith)--nope

78. The World According To Garp (John Irving)--yes

79. The Diviners (Margaret Laurence)--nope

80. Charlotte’s Web (E.B. White)--yes

81. Not Wanted On The Voyage (Timothy Findley)--yes

82. Of Mice And Men (Steinbeck)--yes, brilliant

83. Rebecca (Daphne DuMaurier)--nope

84. Wizard’s First Rule (Terry Goodkind)--nope

85. Emma (Jane Austen)--nope

86. Watership Down (Richard Adams)--parts of it

87. Brave New World (Aldous Huxley)--nope

88. The Stone Diaries (Carol Shields)--nope

89. Blindness (Jose Saramago)--nope

90. Kane and Abel (Jeffrey Archer)--nope

91. In The Skin Of A Lion (Ondaatje)--nope

92. Lord of the Flies (Golding)--yes

93. The Good Earth (Pearl S. Buck)--parts of it

94. The Secret Life of Bees (Sue Monk Kidd)--nope

95. The Bourne Identity (Robert Ludlum)--yes, I think so

96. The Outsiders (S.E. Hinton)--nope

97. White Oleander (Janet Fitch)--nope

98. A Woman of Substance (Barbara Taylor Bradford)--nope

99. The Celestine Prophecy (James Redfield)--nope

100. Ulysses (James Joyce)--nope

Would've been easier to list the ones I've actually read.

Best,
Mark Terry

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Watership Down is probably my favorite all time book. And it's about bunnies. I read it when I was thirteen because I thought it was a naval warfare type of thing. I'm lacking on the classics myself, except for Steinbeck. I finally read "The Spy Who Came in From the Cold" recently. I was depressed for a week.

6:02 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

I'm probably lacking on the classics myself, although I've read quite a bit of Shakespeare, Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Willa Cather and even Mencken. And I have read some Dostoevsky and others. I don't have an English degree, but I did take some upper level English classes in college and my HS education was thorough, so I've read my fair share of Greek plays, etc.

"The Spy Who Came in From the Cold" is depressing. On the other hand, Leanne and I recently rented "The Constant Gardener" and it really is a punch to the gut kind of movie. And I love the film version of "The Tailor of Panama," so I think I'm going to have to read more of his books.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Spy Scribbler said...

I was lucky that my local librarian shelved many of the classics in the children's section. Not even the young adult section, but the children's section. (Austen, Dickens, Steinbeck ... a ton of them.)

The Chronicles of Narnia are fantastic! How young are your kids? I read the series three times in fourth grade, then sat on my bed for two hours and bawled because I wanted to live there for real. (I clearly remember her sitting there, speechless.)

Since then, I've probably re-read the series ten or so times. My best friend and I used to read it every year. (We'd have reading fests when we visited each other during college.)

It's up there with Harry Potter, really! I've only read that series 5 times so far ...

2:45 PM  
Blogger Spy Scribbler said...

her=mom.

*rolling my eyes at myself*

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home