Mark Terry

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Marketing Books & Lindsey Lohan's Nipples

December 14, 2006
Well, this column really has nothing to do with marketing books or Lindsey Lohan's nipples (I don't think). It's just that I typically get higher hit counts when it says something like How To Get An Agent or How To Sell Your Book than it does when I say something esoteric and artsy. And I've noted how much attention Lee Goldberg's blog gets when he puts "Lindsey Lohan's Nipples" in the title, or has some post with a link to a sex counselor's blog or something like that.

Actually, I primarily want to direct all published novelists to Tobias Buckell's blog. He's doing an informal survey on number of unpublished novel manuscripts you wrote before getting published. The link is:

http://www.tobiasbuckell.com/wordpress/?p=2445

Today has seemed sort of a worthless writing day so far. I finished the first 100 pages of the 4th Derek Stillwater novel last night, so this morning after walking Frodo I headed out to Meijers to pick up a prescription, buy a padded mailing envelope, get it ready then go stand in line at the post office (gotta love the holidays), then I went over to the gym to watch CNN and the cute chick on the stairmaster while I did my cardio, then over to Calloways to eat too much for lunch, then back home to walk the dog again. Now I'm dicking around on blogs and answering e-mail and trying to work up the motivation to actually work (gotta love the holidays).

Oh, the 100 pages. That's because in my contracts I get a third of the advance upon signing, a third upon turning in the first 100 pages and the remaining third when I turn in the completed manuscript.

So that's about where I am today, contemplating Lindsey Lohan's nipples, my manuscripts and why I ate too much for lunch.

Best,
Mark Terry

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it caught my attention, even though I don't know who Lindsey Lohan is, LOL.

You know, I have trouble writing when I've just finished a deadline. I have to write my fingers off this weekend, but today I finished the edit and last 300 words of a short story I had turn in, and do you think I did the smart thing and jumped on top of my next project? Nope. *sigh*

Hey, thanks for the link to Tobias's blog! It's so cool when I get to discover a new blog!

5:50 PM  
Blogger Aimlesswriter said...

Wow, now I'm thinking of renaming my blog to something like "Tom Cruise's Butt" or do you think I'll get more millage out of Leonardo DiCaprio?
Hmmmm, something to think about.
Now stop resting on the laurels of those 100 pages and get back to work!
:)
Jeannie

4:23 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Aimless,
I think Tom Cruise's Butt might be better than Leonardo DiCaprio's Butt, if for no other reason than it's shorter. :)

4:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lindsay Lohan exposing her nipples sounds like an old news to me. Celebrities nowadays should be somewhat responsible to wear best nipple covers to avoid such incidents like that, unless they deliberately expose them to create publicity.

5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home