Mark Terry

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Raining Frogs

September 13, 2006
It's raining frogs again. When I took Frodo out for his walk this morning I counted at least 30 dead frog corpses on the route. Probably well over thirty, and this was a 30-minute walk, so you figure I was seeing a little dead frog every minute. That's a lot of dead frogs. What next? Rivers of blood? Locusts?

It brought to mind yesterday's whine about "Doubting Thomas." I managed to find a few minutes to whine to my wife about my day and felt that most of the issues were pretty minor. (She might have, too, based on her wandering attention). Well, there's the one about my agent and my publisher and the book contracts and the advance that's frustrating the hell out of me, and there's the one about the big client that's driving me crazy, but...

I don't actually have much to complain about. It's glaringly obvious to me that as a writer I'm in a fantastic position compared to most. I'm making a living as a writer and I'm not eking out a living, but making pretty decent money. I'm getting novels published and have a good publisher with good support and an agent that quickly responds to my e-mails and phone calls.

Not much to bitch about, after all. You know, the cup is half full, not half empty, if life gives you lemons, etc, etch, pick the cliche of your choosing.

And besides--I'm not a frog.

Best,
Mark

1 Comments:

Blogger Rob Gregory Browne said...

Magnolia. Talk about raining frogs.

I always feel like a jerk when I complain about boo-hoo, I have to finish this book. While there are people out there who would love to be in our shoes.

I was one of them, once, and my heart goes out to them.

My heart goes out to the frogs, too.

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home